Saturday, June 16, 2012


Our journey has begun, and we departed LAX around noon, Thursday the 14th, traveled to Shanghai, China for a glorious 15 hours or so. Once entering the international terminal we were simply just the minority. Maybe 3 other Caucasian folk at our gate, Jen and I were two of them so you get my drift. We entered the plane to find that there are close to 500 seats AND Jen and I are 30 rows apart from one another.

Mission one, we sweet talked our ways to sit next to each other, hand gestures did wonders, I gave up my window seat to be next to Jen-Jen in isle 67G both of us are in the middle of a 4 person row. As soon as I sat down I realized planes were not meant for 5’10 girls and quickly noticed that half the passenger’s feet dangled including Jen. This would be interesting.


 Mission two, we napped right off the bat, we twisted ourselves in a comfy position, I told Jen, “If I snore you wake me, AND if you smell food and my behind isn’t awake to wake me as well” she agreed and our snooze began. Hours later I was waken with a lil pat, then immediately  asked if I wanted “poor and rye” or if I wanted “fi and nootle” I went with “poor and rye” and after pulling back the foil I found some PORK AND RICE mmm. Now I was raised to clean my plate and if you cant do that to at least try everything in front of you. I am not picky, nor have I ever had any issues with pork and rice. WELL ladies and gentlemen was I in for it. I wont go into detail mostly because I will gag, but the pork was a jello flub substance that had a distinct plastic smell if you will and quite frankly tasted as it smelt. The rice looked like rice tasted like hmm plastic. I slowly ate, looked around most people were scarfing and I nibbled a little more then had to stop, ate the dessert which was angel food cake extra dry with grape chunk jelly on top HEY it was delicious. Beverage choices were “yapple, orge, tomato, why, and bur.” I chose yapple, seemed like it would be apple and I stuck with it. 



 Mission three, watched “whip it” great movie, and I suppose we didn’t need to use headphones to watch our movie because no one else did…then we napped more same rules applied, if I snored or if food was being served wake a sister up. So time passed I was nudged again and was greeted with a silver hockey puck tossed my way. Opened it, and it was breakfast, some sort of breakfast egg sandwich, made McDonalds look like fine cuisine, but was familiar so we scarfed and even split a second helping.



 Mission four, nap, same rules, time passed, and it was dinner or hell lunch we didn’t know just time to eat again. I was stoked ready for what was next. Flight attendant smiled and said, “fi and nootle” or “poor and rye” yet again! I shook my head Jen laughing and I said you know this time I’ll choose “Fi and nootle” but don’t you worry it gets better. Fish and noodles was what it seemed to be…heavens, plastic smell/taste, ate my dessert and called it a day.

Mission five, we were landing in two hours, cake. Took one last snooze and we had finally landed our 15 hour first leg flight! Exiting the flight we entered Shanghai airport, and let me just say, Jen and I looked at each other and just started to laugh, we had just entered into a world were we are foreigners and smiling is about all we can do! We rushed with the pace of life and managed to figure out where the hell we were suppose to be and what lines to go in and what to say and what not to say, and finally with 3 hours to spare we got us some juice(with loads of pulp) and relaxed. Jen crashed on the floor next to me as I insisted on blogging.

Leg 2! Shanghai to Kunming, China, duration 4 hours, easy!

We slept the entire way and shortly past midnight we had arrived in Kunming, China. We entered the airport, and we had again entered the speedy pace of life, shoved from every angle, and was wanting to cover my face with a sac due to the pollution that hit us with full force. We grabbed a cart jammed our way through the thick crowds, found our luggage, and meet Walter, our Asian friend that knew 100 words of English so we thought he would be a keeper. Since we arrived so late we couldn’t change our US dollars to Yuan, so Walter kindly exchanged our money with his own, he then told us that the airport was soon closing and we must go to a hotel. After a 2 hour long process, a taxi ride from hell, and abduction that crossed our mind many times we had finally landed our tails in a 4 star hotel….4 star hotels come with a firm rock hard bed, cockroaches, and a lovely dumpster aroma. We honestly felt unsafe and remained curled next to each other and attempted to get some rest, we kept the lights onJ 8am Saturday woke up, gathered our stuff, and mobbed out, traveled down 8 levels and were in complete shock of the view from our hotel. YUCK. We entered the lobby, joining 50 other people, we of course were starred at like none other, it turned into a game, “the stare down”, we proceeded to check out and flag down a taxi. The streets were busy, lots of honking, people scrambling around; we were in awe of how the people transport goods/each other. Imagine a scooter, with 4 people on it, or a bag of 20 dead chickens, or ten 20lbs bags of rice, or children holding onto infants, no helmets, no speed limits, and no stopping. INSANE. Back at Kunming airport we arrived around 10am…our flight to Sri Lanka doesn’t leave till 4:30pm, we didn’t mind, for we finally had a chance to sit and grab a bit to eat.noodles. yum!

Last leg, Kunming to Colombo, Sri Lanka! 5 hours!

This being the most exciting flight for obvious reasons, we slept, ate, and as soon as our plane began to descend our eyes were glued to the window. What we saw seemed to be a massive island, least much larger then we thought. It was tropical, looked like a rainforest waiting to welcome us. From above all we could see were shacks intertwined within the forest, some roads, but nothing big, life from our view seemed pleasant, gorgeous, and exciting.

Exiting the plane, we were greeted by a wall of humidity that instantly made us want to shed our clothing. We proceeded to a bus that then took us to the airport building its self. Passing security guard after security guard, each holding a machine gun, we bit our tongues. It was 6:40pm on Saturday, the airport was empty, and welcoming with the largest smiles I have ever seen. We were quickly guided in the direction to get our bags, customs, and changing our US dollars to rupees. Needless to say we felt wealthy with our wad of rupees. 

We then began to look for a sign that was addressed “Travellers worldwide” that sign was never found, and we promptly were in the arms of Nerangela, our new mom! Jen and I finally felt relief, no more traveling, no more rush, no more tension. Nerangela started asking us about America, she then said to us, “this is Sri Lanka, my home, I have lived here my entire life, we are so free here. Its beautiful, and we are happy to have you.” My heart had melted, Nerangela was approx. 45-50 years of age, not married, but boy she was a beautiful looking women. The look in Sri Lanka was a darker Indian appearance, English was understood slightly, and EVERYONE was happy, not a soul not smiling, religion predominately Buddhism, and life was happy. I was hooked. We jumped into our van with our assigned driver by the name of Neesh, he then had us on our way. The diver sat on the opposite side, and drove on the opposite side of the road. Kim another volunteer was waiting for us in our van, she’s from Virginia,USA so basically we became best friends! On the trip to our new home we stopped at the market for we had to get “drink” to celebrate, Jen and I were sold on that idea! Then we stopped suddenly after Jen made a comment that she was hungry, Nerangela  jumped out of our moving van and grabbed three snack bags of “chick-peas” for Kim, Jen, and myself to snack on. About ten minutes later we turned off the busy, honking, dirt of a main road…onto well another dirt road that we soon found was the road of our neighborhood. Through a sewage alley, bump after bump, stray dog after dog, we stopped in front of a huge gate. Nerangela opened the gate and then we were presented with HOME for the next month!











At the house were 4 other volunteers from across the world(England, USA, Scottland, Canada,etc ) And in addition, Tootie the cat, Humpy the one eared dog, and Kaloo the two eared dogJThis was our family, and it felt nothing more then just that. Dinner was served before we could even unpack our bags. Consisted of noodles, tomato sauce, some cheese bread, and nectar juice. We scarfed and our stomachs couldn’t have been happier. After dinner we brought out the “drink”, and celebrated our arrival, and began to get to know our new family. The night vanished quickly and soon Jen an I made our way to our lil hole of a room. Tile floors, two twin beds, a fan above, and a bathroom connecting, we were set.  We slept damn near in the nude, the humidity forced us! We were lulled to bed with the chanting of some Buddhism chant. I didn’t mind, and Nerangela made it seem so nonchalant, that I was able to crash, and sleep well. Thankfully.



Nerangela proclaims that Sundays are fun days, we go shop, we go to water park, or play with elephants. My excitement was hard to hide I couldn’t believe that I was on the other side of the world in the hands of a country that a few months prior I didn’t know existed. Morning came early, I couldn’t sleep any longer. Monday we start “work”, the other volunteers made it very clear we aren’t volunteers when one asks, we are travellers, visiting, and that is it. So Monday we start our 9-5 job at the hospital near by, I cant wait to blog more, but I suppose I shall come to an end for now. 

Our journey has begun, myself and Jen couldn’t be happier. We are in the hands of the most pleasant people I have ever came across. Today Sunday June 17th we begin an adventure that many cant even dream of. So to family and friends, we are safe, happy, and more then content with the life we have entered. Till next time!  

2 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely Carissa! Can't wait for the next entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so glad that you are there and safe... you (and your worrying momma) were in my prayers!
    I will be following your priceless journey!
    Be safe!

    ReplyDelete